chickpea vada or chickpea fritters recipe – an easy to make simple snack with dried chickpeas. these are similar to falafel in their texture and crunch, but the taste is different as they are flavored with indian herbs and spices.
i have given indian flavors to the vada or fritters. to make these vadas, you need to soak the dried chickpeas overnight or for 7 to 8 hours in water. then you drain and make a coarse paste of the soaked chickpeas with herbs and spices.
these vadas or fritters can also be stuffed in a burger bun or sandwich or pita bread or a wrap along with your favorite salad, sauces or dips.
few steps to make chana vadas or chickpea fritters recipe:
1. grind the soaked & drained chickpeas, cumin, green chilies, ginger and asafoetida to a coarse paste. add onions, rice flour and the rest of the spices to it. mix well.
2. shape the mixture into round vadas or patties.
3. heat oil and then shallow or deep fry the vadas till crisp and golden.
4. drain chickpea vadas on paper towels to remove excess oil.
chana vadas or chickpea fritters recipe below:
- 1 cup dried white chickpeas/kabuli chana/chole
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/sabut jeera
- 1 or 2 green chili/hari mirch, roughly chopped
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- ¾ inch ginger/adrak, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion/pyaaz, finely chopped
- ¼ cup coriander leaves/dhania ke patte, chopped
- ¾ tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
- ½ tsp crushed black pepper/kuti hui kali mirch
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp rice flour
- ½ tsp sugar - optional
- salt as required
- oil for deep frying or shallow frying
- rinse the chickpeas well. then soak them in enough water in a bowl or pan.
- keep covered for 7 to 8 hours or overnight.
- drain them well and add them to the wet grinder or chutney grinder.
- also add the chopped green chilies, ginger, asafoetida and cumin seeds.
- grind to a semi coarse mixture without adding water.
- add water only if required and if you are unable to grind the mixture. remove the chickpea mixture in a bowl.
- add finely chopped onions, coriander leaves, coriander powder, crushed black pepper, rice flour, sugar and salt. the rice flour helps in binding the mixture.
- mix very well.
- shape into round and flat vadas or patties.
- heat oil for deep or shallow frying in a kadai or pan. slid the vadas or patties into hot oil.
- let one side get half cooked and turn over carefully with a slotted spoon.
- fry till both sides are crisp and golden.
- note if you have added water while grinding the chickpeas, then you won't be able to shape them like patties. in this case drop spoonfuls of the batter in hot oil while frying.
- drain the chickpea fritters on kitchen napkins to remove excess oil.
- serve chickpea fritters hot with green chutney or coconut chutney.