cheese chilli toast recipe with step by step photos – a simple and easy toast recipe that can be made for a quick breakfast and snack.
again there are many variations of making cheese chili toast. this cheese stuffing in this recipe is inspired from a neighbor aunty who would make hot cheese chili toast sandwiches and share with us.
the specialty of the cheese stuffing is that, besides the hotness of the green chili, it also has the aromatic taste of ginger. this is how i have been making cheese chili toast for the family for years now. while our neighbor aunt used to add a good quantity of ginger, i usually reduce the amount to suit our taste buds.
the toast can also be made into a sandwich. just grill or toast the sandwich in sandwich maker or toaster. sometimes i make a toast sandwich and sometimes i just make the toasts like the recipe posted here.
this chili toast recipe is made in the oven. if you don’t have an oven, toast the bread on a tava/flat pan (check the notes in the recipe details below) . however, the cheese won’t melt and brown as in the case with the oven made toasts. yet the cheese chili toasts would be still be good to taste.
you can use white bread, brown bread, multi grain bread or whole wheat bread. since i make a loaf of whole wheat bread or buns every once or twice a week, i have used this bread to make the cheese chilli toast. also i have used mozzarella cheese here. you can make the toast with cheddar cheese or the regular plain cheese.
lets start step by step cheese chilli toast recipe:
1. grate the cheese in a bowl. add the chopped chilies and minced ginger. also add salt and pepper (not in the pic) and mix well.
2. slice the bread into triangular or rectangular slices. if you want you can remove the edges. since this was homemade whole wheat bread and a very moist one, i have not sliced the edges.
3. place the bread on a rack and bake or grill in a pre heated oven at 200 degrees C for 5-6 minutes or more till lightly toasted. you can keep the bread in the center rack or on the top rack.
4. the lightly toasted bread from the oven. no need to brown the edges. just a little crispness on the surfaces.
5. spread some butter evenly on the slices. then spread the cheese-chili-ginger mixture evenly.
6. again bake or grill in the pre heated oven at 200 degrees C for 7-10 mins or more till the cheese melts and the bread slices get golden and crisp. you can also brown the cheese more if you want. serve the cheese chilli toast with tomato sauce.
cheese chilli toast recipe below:
- 4-5 slices of brown or whole wheat bread
- 3 to 4 tbsp grated cheese - mozzarella, cheddar or regular cheese
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- ½ tsp grated or minced ginger
- salt and black pepper as required
- salted butter at room temperature for spreading on the bread, as required
- grate the cheese in a bowl. add the chopped chilies and ginger. also add salt and pepper and mix well.
- slice the bread into triangular or rectangular slices. if you want you can slice the edges.
- place the bread on a rack or tray and bake or grill in a pre heated oven at 200 degrees C for 5-6 minutes till lightly toasted.
- no need to brown the edges of the bread. just a little crispness on the surfaces.
- keep an eye while toasting the bread slices.
- remove and keep the bread with an oven mitt or spatula on a tray or plate.
- spread some butter evenly on the slices. then spread the cheese-chili-ginger mixture evenly.
- again bake or grill in the pre heated oven at 200 degrees C for 7-10 mins or more till the cheese melts and the bread slices get golden and crisp. you can also brown the cheese more if you want.
- keep an eye and make sure the bread does not get burnt.
- serve the cheese chilli toast with tomato sauce.
1. add salt carefully as the butter and cheese already has salt.
2. if making for kids, then skip the green chilies or reduce the amount of chopped chilies.
3. for making the toast sandwich in a sandwich maker or grill
a) apply butter on both the slices.
b) spread the cheese-chili-ginger filling on one slice.
c) cover with the other buttered slice and toast the sandwich in a sandwich maker or toaster.
4. for making cheese chilli toast on a tava:
a) first toast the bread slices till light golden on a tava. first make the tava or pan hot and then reduce the flame.
b) then keep the bread slices on the tava and toast till lightly.
c) remove the bread slices in a tray or plate. spread some butter on top of the slices. then spread some of the cheese-chili-ginger filling.
d) again place the bread slices on the tava and toast till golden. keep the flame to low. make sure the bread does not get burnt.