cabbage recipes – cabbage is loved by many folks. you can make variety of dry sabzis from cabbage like poriyal, thoran, upkari etc. while making dry sabzis, cabbage goes very well with green peas and potatoes.
some people also have cabbage in salads. if using cabbage raw in salads, then do blanch and then use them. most of the times i blanch cabbage and add it to the dish. this to kill the insects or worms if any inside the cabbage.
this how i blanch cabbage – remove the outermost top layer, if its bruised. then quarter or halve the cabbage. heat water in a pan or pot till it comes to the boiling state. switch off the flame and keep the cabbage halves in the hot boiling water for 5 minutes. cover the pan. if not using the entire cabbage, then once cooled, keep the blanched cabbage in the fridge or in the freezer.
here, i am sharing collection of cabbage recipes already posted on the blog. so that its easier for you to find cabbage recipe of your choice. i will keep on updating this post with more recipes as they are added on the blog. you can use any colored cabbage like green, red/purple to make these recipes. you can also check these popular recipes collections:
- methi recipes (fenugreek leaves recipes)
- palak recipes (spinach recipes)
- matar recipes (green peas recipes)
- bhindi recipes (lady ginger or okra recipes)
collection of 14 veg cabbage recipes:
1. cabbage fried rice recipe – indian style fried rice made with cabbage, onions, tomatoes and spices. the dish is not spicy and the sweetness of the cabbage compliments the aroma of the spices as well the basmati rice.
2. cabbage paratha recipe – whole wheat flat bread stuffed with a spiced cabbage stuffing. these no onion no garlic cabbage parathas make for a healthy breakfast as well as makes for a good tiffin box brunch or lunch.
3. cabbage kofta recipe – crisp and soft cabbage koftas (fried dumplings) in a spiced curry/sauce. kofta recipes are very popular in north india and are made with different vegetables like lauki, zucchini, potatoes or paneer.
4. cabbage vadas recipe – deep fried snacks made from ground lentils and finely chopped cabbage. vada or vadais are quite popular in south india. there are many variations of vadai. these cabbage vadas are made from ground lentils and finely chopped cabbage.
5. aloo patta gobhi sabzi recipe – this dish is a simple homely recipe of a dry sabzi made with potatoes and cabbage. potatoes and cabbage make a good combination in dry veggie dishes.
6. cabbage bhaji recipe -a simple home style sauteed and steamed cabbage sabzi made with minimal ingredients like coconut and few spices.
7. cabbage kootu recipe – tasty south indian style recipe of cabbage and moong lentils with coconut and spices.
8. cabbage pachadi recipe – south indian recipe of a spicy and tangy chutney made with cabbage.
9. cababge pakora recipe – fried crisp fritters made with cabbage, besan/gram flour and spices. easy and quick pakora recipe.
10. cabbage upkari recipe – cabbage steamed with coconut and chana dal.
11. cabbage poriyal recipe – lightly spiced, sauteed and steamed cabbage recipe from the south indian cuisine.
12. cabbage foogath recipe – goan style steamed cabbage with coconut. this is an easy and simple recipe to make and is also known as fugad de repolho.
13. cabbage thoran recipe – cabbage thoran or cabbage stir fry is a dry vegetable dish made in kerala cuisine. thoran is basically finely chopped or grated vegetables cooked with shallots, chilies, fresh grated coconut and spices.
14. cabbage coleslaw recipe – easy and simple coleslaw recipe with a mayonnaise dressing. coleslaw is a salad which is said to have originated from netherlands. basically its a cabbage salad which has a mayonnaise dressing or sour cream in some instances.