quick bread tartlets recipe – after the first attempt of making the bread tartlets, i again made it today. we liked it so much that it has already become a regular snack in my home.
when i first saw bread tartlets recipe in the The Complete Book Of Vegetarian Cooking. i liked it for its ease and simplicity. bread tartlets is a quick snack or munch and is ready in 15-20 minutes. great for bachelors, working women, busy moms and the kids will like it too.
in the original bread tartlets recipe eggs, feta cheese and black olives are added as a filling.
i have substituted the eggs with potatoes, the feta cheese with regular cheese and black olives with???
i forgot to add the olives 🙁
i have spiced it with dry oregano, basil and mexican chili powder.
this dish is one dish that does not limit your creativity. the stuffing can be your own choice of veggies and you can also spice it according to your taste buds. be creative and have fun. also this recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
bread tartlets recipe details below:
- 6 slices white bread or brown bread, - i used small slices of bread
- 1 cheese cube, grated or chopped
- 1 medium size potato, boiled and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium size tomato, chopped
- 6 green or black pitted olives
- ½ teaspoon mexican chili powder or red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dry basil
- ½ dry oregano
- salt as required
- some olive oil or sunflower oil or melted butter
- trim the edges of the bread. flatten each piece with a rolling pin.
- place the bread in a muffin tin. brush with some oil or melted butter.
- secure a piece of crumpled foil on each bread.
- bake in a preheated oven at 190 degrees C for 10-12 mins till the breads are crisp and browned.
- chop the potato, onion and tomatoes.
- remove the muffin tin from the oven and throw away the foil.
- arrange the potatoes, tomatoes and onions on the bread.
- sprinkle the dry herbs and the chili powder along with some salt.
- top up with the grated cheese.
- bake again in the oven at 190 degrees C for 3-5 mins till the cheese gets browned.
- garnish with fresh sprigs of cilantro or parsley and serve quick bread tartlets.
- recipe can be doubled.
- you can add more cheese if required.
- your choice of dried herbs can be added.
- add less red chili powder if you want.
lets start step by step bread tartlets recipe:
1: first of all you need to cook the potato. prick the potato with a fork all over and microwave it for 4-5 minutes in the oven.
remove the crusts from the sides of the bread. you can use any bread like whole wheat bread, brown bread or white bread. cut the bread into squares if the bread is large. if small bread then don’t need to cut into squares. flatten each square piece of the bread with a rolling pin. arrange each bread in a muffin tin. brush with sunflower oil or olive oil. place a piece of crumpled aluminium foil in each bread to keep the bread pieces secured in the muffin tin.
2: bake in a preheated oven for 190 degree C for about 10-12 minutes or until the bread is crisp and browned. remove the muffin tin from the oven. throw away the foil. chop the boiled potato, onion and tomatoes. grate or chop the cheese. i kept the bread a little soft in the center as hubby prefers it that way.
4: fill the bread with the potato, onion and tomatoes.
6: sprinkle the dry herbs, chilli powder and salt.
7: top up with grated cheese.
8: bake again in the oven for 190 degree C for 3-5 mins or till the cheese gets browned. while serving quick bread tartlets, you can garnish with some coriander or parsley leaves. i did not have any. i just added a dash of mexican chili salsa to make it a little spicy and hot.