collection of besan recipes – this list contains collection of 22 besan recipes. besan also known as gram flour is one of the most common ingredient found in indian kitchens. besan is basically flour made from chana dal aka bengal gram.
usually besan is often used to make a variety of pakoras in indian cuisine. but apart from pakoras, there are some recipes which exclusively use besan as one of the main ingredient.
this collection contains snacks, sides and sweets that are made with besan. some sweets made with besan are very popular and they also have been included in the list.
sweets recipes made with besan
1. mysore pak recipe – a popular and famous sweet from mysore and made with just three main ingredients – besan, ghee and sugar.
2. 7 cup barfi recipe – easy and delicious south indian sweet that can be made for any festive or religious occasion. 7 cup barfi is also called as 7 cup cake. as the name suggests, 7 cup barfi includes 7 cups or 7 measures of ingredients.
3. besan ladoo recipe – one of the popular ladoos often made during festive occasions. besan ladoo is an easy and healthy sweet which is made all over india.
4. besan halwa recipe – a delicious halwa made from gram flour, ghee, sugar and cardamom powder. besan halwa is a quick recipe but a lot of stirring is required, so too much of hand work. but every bit of effort is worth to make this dessert. if you like halwa then you can check these popular halwa recipes like gajar halwa, moong dal halwa, sooji halwa, rava kesari and atte ka halwa.
5. besan kheer recipe – an easy to prepare, delicious, wholesome, low-fat, sweet dish for diwali. in the recipe, dark chickpea flour is used, which is made from grinding black chickpeas with their husks.
snacks recipes made with besan
1. pakora recipes – pakora or pakoda are basically indian fritters made with gram flour (besan). pakoras are fried, crisp snacks made with different veggies. few of the popular pakora varieties are paneer pakora, mirchi pakora, aloo pakora, onion pakora and palak pakora recipe. you can have pakoras with bread or with an accompanying chutney like pudina chutney or coriander chutney or sweet green chutney or sweet chaat chutney or tomato sauce.
2. besan cheela recipe – savory pancake made with gram flour, spices & herbs. grated veggies can also be added to make the recipe more nutritious. you can also check rava chilla and moong dal cheela. these cheela are not only healthy but also quick and easy to make.
3. khandvi recipe – soft and melt in mouth spiced and tempered rolls made from besan batter. preparing khandvi is slightly tricky, but once you get it right, its one of the most easiest snack one can make.
4. besan sev recipe – crisp, thick sev made from gram flour and spices. this is a quick, savory snack prepared during diwali. the taste of this besan sev is medium spiced and the texture is crisp. besan sev can be served as tea time snack.
5. besan oats chilla recipe – quick and easy chilla made with oats, gram flour, spices-herbs. this healthy oats chilla recipe takes less than 30 minutes to make. so quick and easy enough for morning breakfast. this cheela is soft and has the taste of oats in it. other popular oats recipes on blog are oats idli, oats dosa, oats uttapam and oats upma recipe.
6. methi thepla recipe – these are flatbreads made from fresh fenugreek leaves, whole wheat flour, gram flour and can be munched anytime of the day. serve methi thepla with plain yogurt (curd) or lemon pickle or mango pickle.
7. lauki thepla recipe – these are spiced bottle gourd whole wheat flatbreads. they make for a healthy breakfast, tiffin or picnic brunches. for more lauki recipes, you can check this collection of 12 lauki recipes.
9. amritsari paneer tikka recipe – paneer cubes are marinated in a mixture of gram flour, spices, herbs and then pan fried. the recipe comes from the city of golden temple – amritsar in punjab. few more tikka recipes you can make at home are paneer tikka, mushroom tikka, aloo tikka, paneer tikka on stove top, achari paneer tikka. tofu can be used as a substitute for paneer.
11. bread pakora recipe – popular snack of bread pakoda stuffed with spiced mashed potatoes. there are many variations of this popular snack like plain bread pakora, bread rolls with stuffed potatoes, paneer bread rolls, baked bread potato rolls. and cheese bread pakora recipe.
12. methi muthia recipe – steamed or fried dumplings made from besan and fenugreek leaves/methi.
13. khaman dhokla recipe – khaman dhokla or khaman as its called, is a savory steamed cake made from gram flour. khaman is soft and fluffy, mildly tangy-sweet and a great snack anytime of the day. few more dhokla recipes on the blog are white or khatta dhokla, instant rava dhokla recipe and moong dal dhokla.
14. methi na gota recipe – gujarati tea time snack made from besan and fenugreek leaves (methi).
other recipes made with besan
1. besan capsicum sabzi recipe – simple yet tasty recipe of a sabzi or bhaji made with capsicum (green bell peppers or shimla mirch) and besan. the recipe is very easy to prepare and gets done within 20 to 25 minutes. so good for those days when you do not have much time for cooking.
2. besan bhindi recipe – a dry, aromatic, tangy and spiced okra curry from the rajasthani cuisine. this is also a no onion no garlic recipe. the end result is a crisp, spiced and masala coated bhindi which goes very well with chapatis or phulkas. you can also check this kurkuri bhindi and bhindi stir fry recipe.
3. punjabi kadhi recipe – popular north indian recipe of punjabi kadhi pakora. fried onion pakoras in a creamy & sour yogurt sauce. each state and region have their own ways of making kadhi. so we have maharashtrian kadhi, rajasthani kadhi, gujarati kadhi, sindhi kadhi and so on.