beetroot sabzi recipe with step by step photos. simple, homely and healthy beetroot bhaji recipe prepared in south indian style.
carrots and beetroots often make an appearance in our menu. i always buy both these root veggies and make simple stir fries or add them in pulao or mix veg dishes. during winters, i prepare carrot halwa and on occasions beetroot halwa too.
this beetroot bhaji has the sweetness of beetroots and coconut along with some heat coming from the green chilies & dry red chilies. the spices added also contribute their own flavors.
beetroots are rich in iron, calcium and minerals and there are various ways you can include them in your meals. using the same recipe, you can even make carrot bhaji. few more beetroot recipes that i have already shared are:
to prepare this easy beetroot bhaji recipe, i have boiled the beetroots. since the beetroot is boiled, the bhaji takes very less time to cook. this bhaji tastes delicious and is a regular at home.
if you are looking for more sabzi recipes then do check:
beetroot sabzi or bhaji recipe below:
beetroot sabzi recipe | beetroot curry dry recipe | beetroot bhaji recipe
beetroot sabzi recipe - easy and healthy beetroot bhaji recipe prepared in south indian style.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
for pressure cooking beetroots:
- 2 medium to large beetroot or 1.5 cups chopped beetroot
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2.5 cups of water for pressure cooking the beetroots
other ingredients for beet root sabzi:
- 1.5 tablespoons oil
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seed (rai)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- 1 pinch asafoetida hing
- 1 to 2 dry red chilies, broken into two and seeds removed (sookhi lal mirch)
- 1 to 2 green chilies, chopped finely (hari mirch)
- 10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- ¼ cup of finely chopped onion or 1 small onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh grated coconut
- salt as per taste
how to make recipe
- rinse the beetroot first very well in water.
- then add 2.5 cups of water in the pressure cooker. add the beetroot.
- sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- pressure cook the beetroot for 3 to 4 whistles or for 7 to 8 minutes.
- once the pressure drops down in the cooker on its own, remove the beetroot. you can use the water in soups, dals, rasams or to knead chapati dough.
- when the beetroot, become warm, peel and chop them finely.
making beetroot sabji recipe:
- heat a pan and then add 1.5 tablespoons oil.
- when the oil becomes hot, reduce the flame to a low. then add ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds, ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, a generous pinch of asafoetida, 2 broken dry red chilies, 10 to 12 curry leaves and ¼ teaspoon turmeric.
- saute until the mustard seeds and cumin seeds crackle on low flame.
- then add 1/4 cup of finely chopped onions and 1 to 2 finely chopped green chilies.
- saute the onions until they become translucent.
- sprinkle salt as required. stir well.
- add the boiled, chopped beetroot. mix and stir well.
- cover with a lid and cook for 2 to 3 mins on a low flame.
since the beetroot is boiled, no need to cook the beetroot bhaji for a longer time.
remove the lid, stir the beetroot bhaji.
- finally add 1/4 cup of fresh grated coconut.
- stir well. after 1 to 2 mins switch off the flame.
serve beetroot sabzi as a side dish with your meals.
few tips for making beetroot curry recipe:
- you could use raw beetroot also for this recipe. but it will take a longer time to cook.
- if using raw beets, then finely chop or grate them. add some water to them while cooking. cover and cook them.
- if you don't have fresh coconut then use desiccated coconut. desiccated coconut also tastes good in the beetroot dry curry.
how to make beetroot sabzi or beetroot dry curry recipe:
1. first rinse 2 medium to large beetroot very well in water. then add 2.5 cups of water in the pressure cooker. also add the beetroots.
2. sprinkle ¼ teaspoon salt in the water. pressure cook for to 3 to 4 whistles or 7 to 8 minutes on a medium flame.
3. when the pressure settles down on its own, open the pressure cooker’s lid. remove the cooked beetroot. the water can be used to make beetroot rasam, dals, pulaos, soups and even for kneading chapati dough.
4. when the beetroot become warm, peel them.
5. then chop the beetroot finely. keep aside.
6. keep all the ingredients ready for making beetroot sabzi recipe.
making beetroot curry dry recipe:
7. heat a pan or kadai and add 1.5 tablespoon oils in it.
8. when the oil becomes hot, lower the flame. then add ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds, ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, a generous pinch of asafoetida/hing, 1 to 2 broken dry red chilies, 10 to 12 curry leaves and ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder.
9. saute until the mustard seeds and cumin seeds crackle on a low flame.
10. add ¼ cup finely chopped onions and 1 to 2 chopped green chilies.
11. saute the onions until they become translucent.
12. then add salt as per taste.
13. mix well.
14. add the boiled, chopped beetroots.
15. mix and stir very well.
16. cover with a lid and cook beetroot sabzi for 2 to 3 mins on a low flame.
17. since the beetroot is boiled, no need to cook the sabzi for a longer time. after 2 to 3 minutes, remove the lid and stir the beetroot bhaji.
18. finally add ¼ cup of fresh grated coconut.
19. stir and mix very well.
20. after 1 to 2 mins switch off the flame.
serve the beetroot sabzi as a side dish with dal-rice or sambar rice combo.