basic tomato pizza sauce recipe – an easy & quick recipe to make this basic pizza sauce with fresh tomatoes, garlic and basil.
i have got a few requests to post some sauces like pizza sauce, white sauce etc and i shall be posting them.
as i have mentioned before, the sauce is made with fresh tomatoes. i only get to buy the tomatoes which are available in the indian markets. we don’t get many varieties of tomatoes in india. these tomatoes are the usual indian tomatoes which are red and ripe.
this sauce works well for 4-5 medium sized pizzas. the recipe can easily be doubled. since the method and recipe is easy, you can adjust the quantity of herbs as per your choice. i have also shared few baked pizza versions like vegetable pizza, paneer tikka pizza, whole wheat pizza, pocked pizza/calzone and bread pizza recipe.
apart from pizza, the sauce also works well with pasta. just toss the cooked pasta & steamed/sauted veggies in the sauce. top with some cheese and bake or grill the pasta till the cheese melts.
you can make the sauce a bit chunky or smooth. i have pureed the tomatoes with some bits for a chunkier version. you can also chop the tomatoes finely. for a smooth version, puree the tomatoes very well.
basic tomato pizza sauce recipe below:
basic pizza tomato sauce recipe
INGREDIENTS (1 cup = 250 ml)
for the pizza sauce:
- 3 medium to large tomatoes, pureed - yields approx 1.5 to 2 cups of tomato puree
- 4-5 garlic cloves, finely chopped (lahsun)
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 to 1.5 teaspoon dry oregano Or 1 to 1.5 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- salt as required
- black pepper as required
HOW TO MAKE RECIPE
- rinse and then chop the tomatoes.
- puree the tomatoes in a blender or with a hand blender.
- keep a few bits and pieces of tomatoes in the puree.
- heat olive oil in a small pan.
- then add the chopped garlic and saute for 10-12 seconds on a low flame.
- add the tomato puree and saute for 4-5 mins on a low to medium flame.
- when the tomatoes are cooked, add the chopped basil, dry oregano, salt and pepper.
- stir & simmer for 1-2 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- check the seasonings add more salt or pepper if required.
- once cooled, use the pizza sauce as a topping on pizzas or store in a bowl or in a small jar.
step by step basic red pizza sauce recipe:
1. heat olive oil in a pan. add finely chopped garlic and saute for 10-12 seconds on a low flame.
2. then add the tomato puree and saute for 4-5 minutes on a low to medium flame. i did not puree the tomatoes till smooth. kept a few bits of tomatoes pieces.
3. when the tomatoes are cooked well, add the chopped basil, dry oregano, salt and pepper.
4. simmer for 1-2 minutes more.
5. when the sauce is cooled, you can use it right away as a pizza topping. otherwise store the sauce in a bowl or a small jar in the refrigerator. keeps good for 3-4 days.