atte ka halwa recipe with step by step photos – halwa made from whole wheat flour/atta is a popular sweet made in north india. atte ka halwa is easy to make. this halwa can be made for any occasion or any day. it could be celebration, a festival or you just want to have something sweet.
this is a healthy halwa recipe and to make it more nutritious you can add dry fruits of your choice like almonds, cashews or raisins. another popular variation of this halwa is karah prashad which is served in gurudwaras. in karah prashad preparation same proportion/quantity of flour, ghee and sugar is used.
so karah prashad has more amount of ghee added as compared to this atte ka halwa recipe and is thus more smooth in texture. to make this atte ka halwa recipe also more moist or to give more smooth texture increase the quantity of ghee than what i have mentioned.
you can serve this atte ka halwa after meals as a sweet dessert. they can also be had with pooris. infact, halwa puri combo is quite popular in north india. you can also have suji ka halwa with pooris. this halwa is generally had hot or warm. so if you refrigerate the leftovers, then warm the halwa before serving.
there are no flavorings added in this halwa so as to get the best flavor of the whole wheat flour. you can also add some amount of rava or sooji to give some texture to the halwa. with just the whole wheat flour the halwa is too smooth.
atte ka halwa recipe below:
- 1.5 cups atta (whole wheat flour)
- ⅔ to ¾ cup ghee (clarified butter)
- ¾ to 1 cup sugar or as required
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon whole cashews (kaju) - optional
- heat the ghee in a kadai or pan.
- take the sugar and water in another pan.
- keep this pan on a medium to high flame and let the solution come to a boil.
- after keeping the sugar and water in the other pan, add the whole wheat flour to the hot ghee in the kadai or pan.
- fry stirring continuously till the color changes of the flour and you get the aroma of roasted whole wheat flour.
- keep on stirring to ensure even browning.
- in the meanwhile keep your eyes also on the sugar solution.
- if the mixture starts to boil, then lower the flame and let it simmer.
- the atta or whole wheat flour should turn golden and give a good fragrance. plus also begin to release ghee.
- increase the flame to high for the sugar solution to bubble and when it starts to bubble in a matter of seconds, immediately add it to the hot semolina mixture.
- be careful as the mixture has the tendency to splutter.
- continue to stir with all your hand force, so that no lumps are formed.
- the halwa will absorb water and continue to thicken quickly.
- keep on stirring. so that lumps are not formed.
- when its semi thick or thick like a sooji halwa, switch off the fire.
- serve atte ka halwa hot or warm.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNELAdvertisements
step by step whole wheat or atte ka halwa recipe:
1. first in a pan, keep the sugar and water to heat up. we just need to make a sugar solution. when the solution comes to a boil and is hot, we add this to the halwa mixture.
2. heat the ghee in a kadai or pan. add both the whole wheat flour and cashews. you can also add cashews later. adding in the beginning will really roast them well and give a dark golden color. stir the mixture.
3. roast, stirring continuously till the color changes of the flour and you get the aroma of roasted whole wheat flour. keep on stirring to ensure even browning.
4. when the atta or whole wheat flour has turned golden and starts to release ghee, add the bubbling hot sugar and water solution. continue to stir with all your hand force. keep on stirring so that lumps are not formed.
5. when the halwa consistency is semi thick or thick like a sooji halwa, switch off the fire.
6. serve atte ka halwa hot or warm. for more delicious halwa varieties, you can check this post – 28 halwa recipes.