Here comes again another quick recipe of thoran. to know more about thoran you could read my post on beetroot thoran. i like thoran made from any veggie….. from cabbage thoran to beans thoran to carrot thoran…. so here is a recipe of ash gourd thoran.
ash gourd is easily available in south india and maharashtra…. though i have not been able to find it in delhi. its a lovely veggie and quite different from the other gourds.. its also called as white gourd…. i remember my mother adding ash gourd to sambar with other veggies and also making ash gourd thoran and ash gourd upkari…….
this recipe has been in the queue for a long time now and is amongst the list of recipes i have, that need to be posted. the photographs of this recipe are from the time i was new to photography and so looks like a novice has taken photographs. i do not claim that i am very good at food photography… i am still learning the ropes and my latest recipes’ photographs are much better than the earlier ones.
so here we go for with the ash gourd thoran recipe
ash gourd thoran: serves:2-3
preparation time: 10-15 mins
cooking time: 18-20 mins
ingredients for ash gourd thoran recipe:
- 200 gms of ash gourd – peeled and chopped
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 1 green chili chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (optional)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 3/4 cup grated coconut
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
method to make ash gourd thoran recipe:
- chop the ash gourd and keep them ready with the chopped onions and green chili.
- in a pan, heat the coconut oil. add the mustard seeds and when they pop add the cumin seeds. when the cumin seeds sizzle in the hot oil add the onions. fry the onions till transparent.
- add the curry leaves and green chili… fry for a minute.
- now add the ash gourd
- add the turmeric powder and saute the veggie for a minute
- cover the pan and let the ash gourd cook in its own steam… do not add water as ash gourd has enough water in it…cook for 7-8 minutes till the ash gourd is almost done…add the grated coconut…
- mix the coconut well with the veggie. add salt and cook covered for a couple of minutes.
- serve as a side dish or with dal and rice or sambar and rice. you can also have this dish with chapatis.
printable version of ash gourd thoran recipe is below: