aloo palak paratha recipe with step by step photos – aloo palak paratha is a variation of palak paratha recipe and is a nice way to include greens in your diet.
in this paratha recipe which was shared by a friend, i have kneaded the dough with mashed potatoes, spinach puree and spices. another way to make aloo palak paratha is to just knead the atta or whole wheat flour with the palak puree and then add the mashed spiced potatoes stuffing in the parathas. making stuffed parathas requires little expertise. so for beginners, i would suggest to use this method which is shown in a step by step format.
parathas are usually eaten as a breakfast and also good as tiffin box or for a short trip. you can serve the aloo palak paratha with lemon or mango pickle or curd or white butter. a cup of hot tea will also be nice.
aloo palak paratha recipe below:
aloo palak paratha recipe - an easy paratha recipe made with mashed potatoes, spinach puree and whole wheat flour.
- 15 to 18 medium to large palak leaves (spinach) - yields approx ½ or ¾ cup spinach puree
- 2 medium aloo (potatoes) - peeled, boiled and mashed, approx 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 2 to 3 garlic (lahsun) - crushed or made into a paste in a mortar-pestle
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (atta)
- 1 tablespoon yogurt (dahi or curd) - optional
- 1 teaspoon oil
- salt as required
- oil or ghee as required for frying the parathas
rinse and then chop the palak/spinach leaves roughly.
boil or steam the potatoes till they are completely cooked.
when they are still warm, peel and then mash them.
heat through 1 or 1.5 cups water in a pan.
just heat the water till it comes to a gentle boil
add the palak or spinach leaves and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
using a strainer or colander drain the spinach.
while straining, collect the stock in which we blanched the spinach in a bowl and keep aside.
puree the palak/spinach with a hand blender or in an electric blender.
in a bowl or large plate, add all the above ingredients, except for ghee/oil meant for frying.
begin to knead to a smooth dough.
you may not require adding water while kneading the dough.
but if the dough looks dry and needs water, then add the strained stock in which we simmered the palak leaves.
add very less stock and knead to a smooth dough.
keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
make medium sized balls from the dough and roll into 5-6 round parathas.
fry the aloo palak paratha on a hot tava or griddle with a few teaspoons of oil or ghee till brown spots appears on both sides and they are cooked.
serve aloo palak paratha hot with pickle, curd or butter.
tips for aloo palak paratha recipe:
1. if the dough looks dry, then add very little spinach stock and knead. if the dough becomes sticky, then add some more flour and knead.
2. if you use yogurt, you may not need to add any water or the spinach stock while kneading.
3. to add a little bit of spice and heat in the parathas, you can even add chopped green chilies or green chili paste to the dough.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNELAdvertisements
step by step aloo palak paratha recipe:
1. in a mixing bowl or large plate, add the whole wheat flour, mashed potatoes, spinach puree, spice powders, oil and salt.
2. you may not require adding water while kneading the dough. but if the dough looks dry and needs water, then add the strained spinach stock in which the spinach leaves were blanched. add very less stock and knead to a smooth dough. keep aside covered for 15-20 minutes.
3. make medium sized balls from the dough and roll into 5-6 inch diameter parathas on a flour dusted board or work surface.
4. fry the aloo palak paratha on a hot tava or griddle with a few teaspoons of oil or ghee till brown spots appears on both sides and they are cooked.
you can also check this step by step gobi paratha recipe to see how stuffed parathas are made and fried with oil or ghee. be liberal in using ghee or oil while frying. take care that the edges are cooked well. you can even press the paratha edges with spatula or a paratha presser, so that they are cooked properly.
5. serve aloo palak paratha hot with mango pickle, curd or with white butter.