aloo masala grilled sandwich recipe – to make these grilled sandwiches with a spiced potato stuffing is very easy. all you need are some boiled potatoes, spices, butter and bread.
use any bread which you like or prefer for making these sandwiches. a day old bread is also fine. homemade bread is better.
i have made these sandwiches with homemade whole wheat bread. i generally make a loaf of bread or pav/buns once a week. these get used up in making various snacks like sandwiches and sometimes desserts like a bread pudding. the pav or rolls are served with usal (sprouts curry) or pav bhaji. i have used the same recipe for the spiced potato stuffing masala, which i always make for aloo paratha.
aloo masala grilled sandwich recipe below:
aloo masala grilled sandwich recipe - easy to make grilled sandwich with spiced mashed potatoes.
- 8 to 10 bread slices
- 2 to 3 medium potatoes or aloo - boiled and mashed
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped finely (hari mirch)
- ¼ teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder or deghi mirch (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon of garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon amchur (dry mango powder) or as required
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera)
- ½ to 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- salted butter at room temperature as required
- rock salt or sendha namak or regular salt as required
- grated cheddar cheese as required (optional)
- boil or steam potatoes till they are cooked very well and can be easily mashed.
- drain and peel them. mash them when they are still hot or warm.
- add all the herbs and spices powders - chopped green chilies, coriander leaves, red chili powder, garam masala powder, dry mango powder, cumin powder and salt. mix very well.
- check the seasoning and add more of salt, red chili powder, dry mango powder if required.
- spread butter on half of the bread slices.
- take some portion of the potato stuffing and spread it on the buttered bread slices.
- optional step - sprinkle some grated cheese.
- cover the bread slices with the remaining buttered slices.
- spread some butter on the top of the bread sandwiches.
- place the sandwiches buttered side down in a preheated grill carefully.
- now spread butter on the top of the bread slices facing you.
- cover the grill and grill for 2-3 minutes or till the sandwiches are golden and crisp.
- serve aloo masala grilled sandwich hot with tomato ketchup or coriander chutney or both.
easy step by step aloo masala grilled sandwich recipe:
1. peel, mash the boiled potatoes and then add all the spices, herbs and salt. mix well.
2. butter the bread slices. spread some of the spiced aloo masala or stuffing on the buttered bread slices.
3. top with grated cheese if required.
4. cover with the remaining buttered bread slices. spread butter on the top of the slices.
5. in a pre heated grill, place the sandwich carefully with the buttered side facing down, making sure your hands don’t touch the grill (be careful when doing this. if you cannot do this then just skip the above step. instead spread butter once the sandwiches are grilled). now spread butter on the top side which is facing you.
6. grill for 2-3 minutes till the sandwiches are crisp and golden.