aloo bonda or potato bonda recipe with step by step photos – these are basically deep fried snack made with gram flour batter and stuffed with spiced mashed potatoes.
aloo bonda are the south indian version of the popular maharashtrian batata vada. the difference between both these versions, is the spices used in the mashed potato filling. also in the south indian bonda, in the batter rice flour is added along with gram flour. whereas in the maharashtrian version, rice flour is usually not added to the batter.
i will be also posting an authentic marathi version of the batata vada soon. there is one batata vada already on the blog, but its a different version. there are many ways this popular snack is made in india.
in fact indian regional cuisine is rich with many popular snacks. in north india samosa, kachori, aloo tikki chole, dahi vada etc are quite popular. whereas in south india idli, dosa, medu vada, mysore bonda etc are very popular.
note: you can also make a no onion no garlic version. just skip the onion and garlic from this bonda recipe.
potato bonda or aloo bonda recipe below:
- 1 cup besan/gram flour
- ¼ cup rice flour/chawal ka atta
- ⅓ to ½ cup water or add as required
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- a pinch of baking soda (optional)
- salt as required
- 4 to 5 medium sized potatoes/aloo
- 1 medium sized onion/pyaaz, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies/hari mirch, finely chopped
- 12 to 15 curry leaves/kadi patta
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves/dhania
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste/adrak-lahsun paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 1 tsp mustard seeds/rai
- ⅓ to ½ tsp lemon juice or as required
- 1 or 1.5 tsp urad dal/spilt & husked black gram
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp oil
- salt as required
- oil for deep or shallow frying
- first boil the potatoes in a pan or steamer or pressure cooker. then peel and mash them when still warm.
- heat oil in a frying pan. add the mustard and urad dal.
- allow the mustard seed to splutter and the urad dal to get golden.
- add the chopped onion and saute till they are translucent and soften.
- now add the ginger-garlic paste, curry leaves and green chilies. saute for a minute.
- add the turmeric powder, asafoetida and stir. now add the coriander leaves and stir.
- add the potatoes to this mixture or add this sauted mixture to the potatoes. stir well.
- if there is moisture, then you can cook the potato mixture for a few minutes.
- add lemon juice & salt. mix well.
- check the seasoning and add more salt or red chili powder or lemon juice if required.
- make medium sized balls from this mixture.
- prepare a thick flowing batter with all the ingredients mentioned above in the 'for the batter' list.
- heat oil for deep frying in a kadai or pan. dip each potato ball in the batter and coat it well with the batter.
- add the batter coated potato balls in the medium hot oil.
- fry the aloo bondas till golden on both sides. drain aloo bonda on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- serve aloo bonda hot with coconut chutney or tomato ketchup.
Update: due to recent policies of facebook, many of you are not getting update from Veg Recipes of India facebook page. to keep getting updates, kindly go to our facebook page and click on “Liked” option and then select “See First” option under the drop down menu “IN YOUR NEWS FEED“.
step by step potato bonda or aloo bonda recipe:
1. first boil the potatoes. then peel and mash them when they are still warm.
2. heat oil in a frying pan. add the mustard and urad dal. allow the mustard seeds to splutter and the urad dal to get golden.
3. add the chopped onion and saute till they are translucent and get softened.
4. now add the ginger-garlic paste, curry leaves and green chilies. saute for a minute.
5. add the turmeric powder, asafoetida and stir.
6. now add the coriander leaves & salt. stir.
7. add the potatoes to this mixture or add this sauted mixture to the potatoes.
8. stir well. if there is moisture in the mashed potatoes, then you can cook the potato mixture for a few minutes. add lemon juice and mix well. check the seasoning and add more salt or red chili powder or lemon juice if required.
9. make small to medium sized balls from this mixture. i usually lightly flatten these balls for ease of frying.
10. take besan or gram flour, rice flour along with the spice powder in a mixing bowl.
11. mix very well and make a thick flowing batter with all the ingredients.
12. heat oil for deep frying in a kadai or pan. dip each potato ball in the batter and coat it well with the batter. add the batter coated potato balls in medium hot oil.
13. fry the aloo bonda till golden on both sides. drain aloo bonda on paper towels to remove excess oil.
14. serve aloo bonda hot with coconut chutney or tomato ketchup.Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media