aloo baingan recipe with step by step photos – this simple and super easy recipe of aloo baingan is from my mil and is a variation of the stuffed aloo baingan recipe that i have earlier posted.
in this recipe of aloo baingan we just slice or chop the aubergines or baingans instead of keeping them whole. the spices used are same as for the stuffed aloo baingan recipe. this is also a dry aloo baingan recipe.
being a fantastic cook, my mil dishes out awesome punjabi recipes. her trademark is that her recipes are easy to make and yet super yum. they are so easy that even a novice in cooking can make her recipes.
this aloo baingan is one such easy veggies recipe. you can check more simple veggies like aloo gobi, punjabi karela sabzi, aloo methi, bhindi do pyaza, dahi wali arbi, gajar matar sabzi, palak saag and aloo moongre ki sabzi and kaddu ki sabzi.
i have used mustard oil in this recipe but even with a simple vegetable oil like sunflower oil the aloo baingan taste fabulous.
aloo baingan recipe card below:
aloo baingan recipe - quick and easy to make dry curry made with potatoes and eggplants.
- 1 kg small baingan (eggplants or brinjals)
- 5 to 6 potatoes (aloo)
- 2 teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 teaspoon dried mango powder (amchur powder)
- 2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 3 tablespoon mustard oil or vegetable oil
- salt or black salt
wash the small baingan and potatoes in water.
slice the baingan into 4 pieces vertically.
keep the baingan in salted water for 15-20 minutes to remove their bitterness.
also slice the potatoes in medium size slices.
in a pan heat the mustard oil. add the potatoes and baingan to the oil.
saute in the oil for 4-5 minutes on a medium flame.
add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt as required.
mix the spice powders and salt properly with both the veggies.
now cover the pan and let the veggies cook on a low flame for 15-20 minutes.
keep checking the aloo baingan after a few minutes so that the veggies do not stick to the bottom of the pan. do stir occasionally.
when the aloo and baingan are cooked properly, sprinkle garam masala powder and amchur powder.
mix these thoroughly and cook for a minute.
close the flame and serve the aloo baingan hot with phulkas or parathas.
how to make aloo baingan recipe card below:
1. wash the small baingan (brinjals) and potatoes in water. slice 1 baingan into 4 pieces vertically. keep the baingan in salted water for 15-20 minutes to remove their bitterness.
2. also slice 5 to 6 potatoes in medium size slices.
3. in a pan, heat 3 tablespoon mustard oil or vegetable oil.
4. add the potatoes to the oil.
5. next add the baingan .
6. stir and mix well.
7. saute in the oil for 4-5 minutes on a medium flame.
8. add 2 teaspoon red chili powder, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi) and salt as required. you can add regular salt or black salt.
9. mix the spice powders and salt well with the veggies.
10. now cover the pan and let the veggies cook on a low flame for 15-20 minutes.
11. keep checking the aloo baingan sabzi after a few minutes, so that the veggies do not stick to the bottom of the pan. do stir occasionally.
12. here in below pic, the aloo and baingan are cooked properly.
13. once the veggies are cooked, then sprinkle 2 teaspoon garam masala powder and 2 teaspoon amchur powder (dried mango powder).
14. mix well.
15. cook for a minute.
16. close the flame and serve the aloo baingan hot with phulkas or parathas.